Monday, July 14, 2008

Tin Figures Museum in the Netherlands displays meticulous figures and historical dioramas


I received an email from the manager of the 2clicks Collectibles Figurines website and when I browsed their interesting links I came upon a link for the Tin Figures Museum in The Netherlands. I not only found the examples of tin figures displayed on their website quite intricate but I was totally blown away by the fabulous dioramas that are used in their exhibits!

The dioramas, ranging in themes from the ancient world through sites of early modern history, were meticulously created by the late Dr. Wieringa of Haarlem, a Dutch mathematician. Of course with my passion for ancient Roman history, I couldn't help but be amazed by the scenery depicting gladiatorial games and Roman temples. He also designed detailed scenes of ancient Egypt, the Hanging Garden of Babylon, medieval Europe, the Renaissance, and the royal European courts of the 18th century as well.

If I ever get a chance to visit The Netherlands, I will make this museum a "must see" on my itinerary!

1 comment:

Emmie Mulder said...

The National Tin Figures Museum has a new web site.
http://tinnenfigurenmuseum.nl/

The historical diorama's of Dr. Wieringa you can find on
http://tinnenfigurenmuseum.nl/Engels_Collection_Wieringa.htm