Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Polymer clay can be used to produce realistic historical dolls


I received an Ebay alert yesterday about a polymer clay OOAK Henry VIII doll by artist Jackie Seaman. Jackie appears to be a very talented sculptor as her Henry VIII is an excellent representation of the 16th century king.

Today I noticed that several more of her dolls were put up for bid. I particularly like the troubadour although her other dolls of a herald, a Tudor-period princess, and a Dutch matron are all nicely done as well.

I will probably need to learn the fundamentals of sculpting polymer clay so I can replace the face of one of my applehead dolls that the mice gobbled up. I have it displayed in an upstairs bedroom that I don't enter very often and when I was up there freshening the sheets for a visitor, I noticed that there was nothing left of my Viking applehead doll's face except a stub of wire that had secured his head. I'm glad I stored my applehead Henry VIII in a glass fronted cabinet!

In my research about polymer clay dolls I also stumbled across a website featuring the beautifully detailed Native American dolls created by artists Marge and Bud Bielefeld called "The Ancient Ones."

"We began making the 'ANCIENT ONES' over nine years ago. We had been enjoying the pow wow circuit crafting shields, hand carved talking and walking sticks, handbags, jewelry and more. During a pow wow someone asked if we had any dolls. Remembering Bud had sculpted and sold caricatures as a child, I suggested he try to sculpt some faces for me to "play" with.

Recently I joined Bud in the scuplting of the hands and faces. After a little encouragement and some trial and error, we began our line of the 'ANCIENT ONES'. We work as a team, as we enjoy and cherish the time we are able to spend together, giving birth to our creations."

I was also pleased to see they live right here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon!

No comments: