Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Eubank family dolls still sought after 75 years


Today I found a website developed by descendants of the Eubank family that discusses the origins of Eubank dolls. I'm always excited when I find out new information about dolls in my collection. It confirmed that Eubank Dolls were originally made in Hannibal Missouri and a Mark Twain Eubank Doll is in the Mark Twain Museum in Hannibal. The Museum inscription states that this doll was made in Hannibal, Missouri in the 1930's or early 1940 by Wilma Eubank Pulliam. Site publisher Bert Eubank also said that he believes the Doll Company was sold and later moved to Branson, Missouri.

Like Mr. and Mrs. Eubank, my favorite dolls are the older composition dolls. My first Eubank doll was Abraham Lincoln. It is quite similar to the doll in this image except it has a gray plaid shawl. The next three Eubank dolls I purchased were Buffalo Bill Cody (the vendor called it General George Custer but I'm pretty certain it is Buffalo Bill Cody), that looks like the middle doll in this image, Andrew Jackson, that is a very good likeness of Old Hickory, and Betsy Ross. These three dolls were simply sold as vintage composition dolls. I did not know they, too, were Eubank until I saw this picture.

4 comments:

Kris said...

I would love to know the Eubank family website. I recently bought a Mark Twain Eubanks doll on Ebay for $10 (!) & would love to know more about him

Mary Harrsch said...

Kris, because the dolls were made so long ago, I doubt that the Eubank family has a website. I did find an interesting reference in a rare books entry where a Mark Twain doll was valued at $200. I guess we'd better take really good care of ours!

Doug Carson said...

How much is a eubank Abe Lincoln clay doll worth

Mary Harrsch said...

I'm sorry Doug but I haven't kept up with recent doll values. I suggest you search for Eubank dolls in the Dolls section of Ebay and check completed winning bids (you must use the Advanced Search option for this)to get a true current value. Also be sure to read the sale details to see if your doll is similar in condition.