Thursday, December 29, 2005

Martha Thompson's beauties reach out to us from the 1950s and 1960s


Today, I was reading an article in Doll Collector Magazine about Evelyn Green and came across a reference to "renowned" doll artist Martha Thompson. Since I am relatively new to collecting I had not heard of her work before. So I went up to Google and quickly found some pictures of her beautifully-detailed figures. My research revealed that Martha was a doll artist from Massachusetts. She was one of the founding members of the National Institute of American Doll Artists and most of her work I have found on the web was created in the mid-20th century (1950s - 1960s). I thought this portrait doll of Jenny Lind was particularly nice. She has glass inset eyes and her face is framed with delicate porcelain roses. I also noticed that a number of her pieces have sold for $1500 to $3500 so apparently collecting her work is not for the faint of heart.

No comments: